Vision and Mission
It is the mission of Dr. Juliet Thorner School to have all students perform at or above grade level in the core subject areas.Our mission is also to develop, implement, and maintain programs that will:
Our motto is: To succeed with pride and dignity.
- Develop students’ positive self-image so they will function as effective and informed citizens by using a system of rewards.
- Provide opportunities for students to recognize, understand, and appreciate cultural diversities.
- Develop social awareness, moral values, and social responsibilities.
- Maintain high standards in academic achievement, conduct, and school attendance.
- Encourage parents to be supportive and involved in their child’s education by reading to them, helping with their homework, monitoring their use of the media, and providing a model for language and reading.
- Provide flexibility to the school site in the use of categorical funds.
Dr. Juliet Thorner School first opened its doors in 1990. It is a creative and performing arts magnet school, and in 2000, was recognized by the State of California as a distinguished school. The school is named after Dr. Juliet Thorner, a pediatrician in Bakersfield from 1939-1975. Along with caring for children through her medical practice, she also contributed in many ways to local schools by providing health and wellness education to children and parents. Thorner School strives for academic excellence through its various learning and fine arts programs.