School Site Council (SSC)
The School Site Council (SSC) is intended to be a decision-making body that represents all stakeholders of the school community. The school principal, teachers, other school personnel, and parents / grandparents make up this group. Their primary responsibility is to identify common goals and assist the leadership team in establishing a plan to achieve the goals. The key to a successful SSC depends upon a good working relationship among all members of the Council. Each member of the Council shares their unique perspective and knowledge of the school’s needs, as they affect all students, during SSC meetings. The principal and teachers contribute background knowledge in instructional practices; parents provide the insights on how effective the school is working and how well their children understand their assignments; and support staff also offer insight on the range and effectiveness of learning opportunities available. Other personnel at the school, such as counselors, instructional aides and clerical staff can share insights on how the school can function to support student learning.
Virtual SSC Meetings:
All SSC Meetings for the 2021-2022 school year will be via Zoom Teleconference
Bakersfield City School District SSC Meeting Protocol and Instructions for Providing Public Comment during Board meetings due to Covid-19 pandemic. On March 17, 2020, Governor Gavin Newson issued executive Order N-29-20, which modifies some Brown Act Provisions requiring physical presence of members of the public to attend and participate at public meetings considering the Covid-19 Pandemic.
The Bakersfield City School District hereby provides notice that as a result of the declared federal state and local emergencies due to the Covid-19 pandemic, and pursuant to the Governor’s order, SSC meetings will not be physically open to the public. Members of public may observe the meeting via the link on Roosevelt’s SSC webpage and all public comments must be submitted no later than by noon on the day before the school site council meeting by email or voicemail. To observe the meeting: The School Site Council meetings can be observed through our provided links on the school site website and the FACE Facebook.
To provide public comments:
- The preferred option for commenting on a specific agenda item or for providing general public comment under Public Comments is to submit your comment via email to email@example.com. Please include your name and clearly indicate the agenda item number you wish to address. If a speaker seeks to address non-agenized matters during a regular meeting, the email should indicate “Public Comment – Non-Agendized Matter.”
- Alternatively, you may comment by calling (661) 631-5460 Extension 40150 to leave a voicemail of no more than three minutes in length. Please state and spell your name at the beginning of your message and clearly indicate the agenda item number you wish to address or specify if your comment addresses a non-agendized matter during a regular meeting.
- In order to be read aloud during the meeting, comments must be received by noon the day before the SSC meeting.
- Should the public speaker not want their name stated publicly, please specify at the top of the email or at the beginning of the voicemail.
- During special meetings, public comment is limited to items on the agenda.
- During the meeting, comments will be read aloud by the SSC Chairperson and they will be added to the meeting minutes. Please note, the School Site Council may exercise its discretion regarding the amount of time for each public comment depending on the number of emails received.
- As with in-person meetings, The School Site Council respects the right of the public to comment on SSC matters. The content of messages should be civil and appropriate for a public meeting of a SSC.
We thank you for your cooperation during the unprecedented times.