- Bakersfield City School District
- Guiding Values
ValuesThe Bakersfield City School District is committed to strong values that guide our daily behavior toward student success. The Bakersfield City School District Board of Education defines how we must work with our students, colleagues, and community through the following core values:
- Equity: To ensure students and adults receive impartial treatment and that students have access to educational opportunities according to their unique needs.
- Integrity: To demonstrate honesty, trustworthiness, and strong moral principles.
- Caring: To treat others with empathy and genuine concern for their well-being.
- Collaboration: To work jointly towards common goals through the sharing of our responsibilities, knowledge, and experiences.
- Personal and Collective Accountability: To honor our obligations and take ownership of our actions and results.
Our vision in Bakersfield City School District is to be the model of educational excellence, equity, and innovation.
Bakersfield City School District’s mission is to educate all students at the highest levels of academic excellence to become collaborative, creative, and critical thinkers.
Academic Achievement: Establish a culture of high-quality teaching and learning through individual and collective accountability with high expectations for all students.
Social-Emotional Learning: Ensure a safe, healthy, and secure environment for all students, parents, guardians, and employees.
Family and Community Engagement: Ensure all parents and community members are welcomed and engaged in the learning process.
Core PrioritiesPriority 1: A Culture of Collective EfficacyWe believe in the collective capacity of our staff and the ability of staff at each school to positively affect student achievement.Priority 2: A Culture of Teaching and LearningWe believe grade-level mastery of content standards (Language, Literacy, Mathematics, and the Sciences) are critical for college and career readiness.Priority 3: A Culture of Student-Centered SchoolsWe believe in the power of relationships, the importance of teaching self-awareness and self-management techniques leading to responsible decision making to support the development of the whole child to compete in our global economy.Priority 4: A Culture of Access and Inclusion to Ensure a Multi-Tiered System of Supports for All LearnersWe believe implementing a coherent system is vital to meet the academic, behavioral, and social-emotional needs of all students.
Blueprint for Academic SuccessEffective LeadersEffective Leaders ensure a safe and nurturing educational environment in which all students receive high-quality instruction resulting in academic excellence.
Effective TeachersEffective Teachers provide access to a guaranteed and viable curriculum for all students resulting in academic excellence.
- Conduct daily classroom observations to monitor school climate, culture, and instruction.
- Empower the collective efficacy of all staff by promoting and supporting site-based professional learning academies.
- Participate in continuous learning to strengthen their leadership and pedagogical skills.
Targeted Student Support Systems
- Communicate the importance of a student-centered culture through positive relationships with students and families.
- Strengthen collective efficacy through collaboration, collective accountability, and implementing research-based high leverage strategies.
- Empower teacher leadership through our TAC, TLT (ELA/ELD, Math, Tech, SEL), and site leadership teams.
Targeted Student Support Systems provide a systematic multi-tiered system of support with comprehensive services that address the needs of the whole student.
School Culture, Climate, and SafetySchool Culture, Climate, and Safety are centered on all students and adults receiving a welcoming, safe, and nurturing learning environment.
- Ensure coherent system-wide practice of meeting the academic, health, and social-emotional needs of all students through efficacious grade level and school-wide teams.
- Strengthen access to core programs through research-based effective interventions related to literacy and numeracy.
- Support inclusive access to academic programs utilizing schoolwide approaches to promote student learning and high achievement for all students.
Family and Community EngagementFamily and Community Engagement is dedicated to empowering our families, community members, and schools.
- Ensure implementation of the standard response protocol for District emergency procedures through regularly scheduled drills.
- Strengthen meaningful relationships within and across the school and District community.
- Support staff to ensure all classrooms are conducive to student learning
- Expand our Parent University program to strengthen connections between school and home.
- Ensure FACE liaisons & office assistants at school sites support the improvement of student attendance.
- Empower Parents As Leaders to promote leadership.