Bakersfield City School District Oral Language Festival
The Bakersfield City School District Oral Language Festival is a competitive event where students in Grades 4-8 use their dramatic and speaking skills to present literary selections with spoken words. Students present serious and humorous interpretations as solos, in duos, and as verse choirs consisting of between three and six students.
Students selected as winners at the district-level competition go on to compete at the county-level competition.
Goals of the Oral Language Festival
The goals of the Oral Language Festival are to:
1. Develop an appreciation of good literature;
2. Provide a conduit for self-expression and creativity;
3. Develop student confidence in public speaking;
4. Assist students in developing non-verbal communication skills such as gesture and facial expression;
5. Provide students with camaraderie and support from team-mates and coach;
6. Make learning fun; and,
7. Enhance communication and interpersonal skills.