Human Resources » FAQs



I need a letter to verify my employment. How do I get one?
Letters of verification are prepared based on written requests only. We do not release any information regarding employees over the telephone. Requests for letters can be made by completing a request form in the Human Resources office. Lenders may obtain verification of your employment by submitting their written request along with your signed authorization. Twenty-four (24) to forty-eight (48) hours are required to complete these letters. Requests may be submitted to us by mail, in person, or by FAX at (661) 324-3274.

How do I contact the substitute request system SmartFindExpress (SFE)?
The telephone number for the SFE is (661) 578-6618. All employees, substitutes, and administrators are given an instruction pamphlet for operating within the SFE. You may access the Quick Reference Sheets on the Human Resources webpage under the Handbooks link. You may also contact the designated employee mentor at your school site. Please call the help desk at (661) 631-4861 should you need assistance.

What is the deadline for submitting transcripts for salary increase?
Professional growth salary increases are posted three (3) times a year for certificated employees and two (2) times a year for classified employees. Certificated deadline dates are: October 5th, February 5th, and June 30th. Classified deadline dates are: October 5th and February 5th. Official transcripts or grade cards must be submitted to Human Resources by the deadline date for salary advancement. Salary changes are effective on the first (1st) of either October or February or July 1st for the June 30th deadline.

What holidays do we have during the school year?
The following days are established as holidays for twelve month employees when they fall during the regular work week or as defined in Education Code and identified in the school calendar:
Independence Day Labor Day
Veteran’s Day Admissions Day or designated alternative
Thanksgiving Day and the following day Christmas Day and one additional day
New Year’s Day Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Lincoln Day Washington Day
Good Friday Memorial Day
Every day appointed by the President of the United States or the Governor of California


What qualifications are necessary to be a substitute teacher?
To qualify for the emergency 30-Day substitute credential, you must have a bachelor’s degree and have passed CBEST. Please contact Ilse Elias Silva at (661)631-4861 for additional information.

How do I get on the BCSD substitute teacher list?
The Bakersfield City School District requires that applicants complete and submit all required paperwork in order to be considered for the substitute teacher list. Currently those requirements are: completed application, resume, placement file or 2 letters of recommendation, copy of CBEST card, and copy of complete set of transcripts. After submission of completed application packet, you will be contacted to attend a substitute teacher orientation.

What if I am currently on the County list or with another school district?
The Bakersfield City School District prepares a personnel file for all employees, so the above listed paperwork must be submitted. If a credential has been applied for with the County office or another school district, it is not necessary to reapply for a credential with each district; however, a verification of credential must be submitted.

Where can I go to get an acceptable typing certificate?
To view a list of places to get a typing certificate, please click here. Please note that we do not accept certificates from employment agencies. Valid certificates must be dated within the last three years.

How do I find out about job listing?
To review current vacancies go to Job Opportunities. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and updated weekly.