Teacher Induction Program (TIP)
What is Induction?
The Teacher Induction Program (TIP) is a two-year program of support and formative assessment designed to meet the needs of participating teachers in California. The Bakersfield City School District administers a single district Induction program. The culmination of the two-year program is the issuance of the new teacher’s California Clear Credential.
Induction consists of:
- Pairing participating teachers with experienced teachers who serve as support providers, and providing them time to work together
- Offering professional development opportunities to meet the needs of the new teacher in relation to his/her teaching assignment
- Building a support network by providing opportunities to dialogue with colleagues
- Providing a system of guided inquiry to assist beginning teachers to grow professionally
What is Induction?
- Structured professional education and individual guidance for first and second year teachers who have earned a California Preliminary Credential
- Support provided by experienced teachers trained to coach new teachers to grow in the implementation of the California Standards for the Teaching Profession (CSTP)
- The pathway from a Preliminary Teaching Credential to a Clear Teacher Credential in California
TIP Program Goals
- Ensure the professional success and retention of promising new teachers
- Improve student performance through enhanced training, information, and assistance for new teachers
- Improve the working conditions and job satisfaction of teachers by reducing professional isolation
- Establish a system of inquiry and growth based on the California Standards for the Teaching Profession
California Standards for the Teaching Profession
Adopted by the California Department of Education, the California Standards for the Teaching Profession provide a framework of common expectations for teachers.
The standards are:
- Engaging and Supporting all Students in Learning
- Creating and Maintaining Effective Environments for Student Learning
- Understanding and Organizing Subject Matter for Student Learning
- Planning Instruction and Designing Learning Experiences for All Students
- Assessing Student Learning
- Developing as a Professional Educator
Teachers in their first or second year of teaching with their California Preliminary Credential can participate in the TIP program.
Through TIP they receive:
- Individualized support from support providers
- Professional development activities designed to improve teaching performance
- Opportunities to be observed and observe others
- Specific confidential feedback on teaching performance
- A California Clear Credential
- Option to purchase available university credit and applied coursework towards a Masters Degree
Participating teachers are asked to work closely with their support provider and to attend program meetings while they complete the induction program requirements.
Support Providers are successful, experienced teachers who assist participating teachers, desire professional growth, and can show administrative support for their participation. Each support provider is paired with participating teachers with matched credentials and grade level experiences.
Research has indicated that as support providers, the experienced teachers benefit from their participation in TIP, learning about new approaches helps to clarify their own thinking and improves their teaching practice.
- Guide and assist participating teachers in developing and implementing an Individual Learning Plan (ILP)
- Hold regular scheduled support sessions for their new teachers on a weekly basis
- Attend participating teacher meetings as well as special support provider trainings
With the California Standards for the Teaching Profession as the foundation for new teacher development, the support providers participate in training sessions that will enhance their knowledge of instruction and collaborative coaching strategies. These sessions enable support providers to scaffold teacher learning and develop effective practices.
Click on the link below for additional information: