Influenza & Coronavirus
The Bakersfield City School District Administrative team has worked tirelessly to address your concerns related to COVID-19, the Novel Coronavirus. The health and safety of our students and staff is our top priority. Each decision and course of action has not come lightly. With thoughtful consideration, we have decided to close all district schools effective Wednesday, March 18, 2020, until further notice.
Influenza is caused by a virus that infects the respiratory system. Symptoms include:
- Fever* or feeling feverish/chills
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
*It’s important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
A new strain of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) has been detected that causes a variety of severity of symptoms, from the common cold to more serious respiratory disease. People who have traveled to certain parts of China, such as Wuhan, since December 1, 2019 may have faced initial exposure. Coronavirus causes upper respiratory illness symptoms that resemble a Common Cold or Influenza:
- Shortness of Breath/Difficulty Breathing
At this time, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that it takes between 2 and 14 days to cause symptoms after exposure.
Kern County Public Health Services offers the below documents on COVID-19:
Current information on the Coronavirus may be found on the CDC website at:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Main Site
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention COVID-19 Situation Summary
Additional information may be found at the Kern County Department of Public Health Services website, California Department of Public Health, and World Health Organization at the following links:
- Kern County Public Health Services Department 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- California Department of Public Health Novel Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
- World Health Organization Novel Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
Influenza and Coronavirus Prevention
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends these steps to prevent viruses that cause upper respiratory infections and flu-or cold-like symptoms:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
It is also recommended to keep sick children home for at least 24 hours after they no longer have a fever or signs of a fever without the use of fever-reducing medicines. Sick and well children should be kept at least 3 feet apart and following the prevention steps listed above. It is important to follow the recommendations by the CDC to prevent infection by Influenza or Coronavirus. Following these guidelines will limit the risk of infection by students and families.