Return to School & Coronavirus
The Bakersfield City School District Administrative team has worked tirelessly to address your concerns related to COVID-19, the Novel Coronavirus. The health and safety of our students and staff is our top priority. Each decision and course of action has not come lightly. With thoughtful consideration, all District schools were closed effective Wednesday, March 18, 2020.
The 2020-2021 school year began in a virtual learning format. During the Board of Education Study Session on October 8, 2020, BCSD Board members voted to initiate a return to in-person instruction plan. The plan follows state guidance and allows for a return of 25 percent of the BCSD student population, focusing on students with the highest needs first. We ask for your patience and support as we work to gradually welcome students back to a healthy and safe learning environment.
The District has identified a four phase plan, beginning with the return of our targeted student groups as identified by the state.
- Phase 1: Special Education Students
- Return to School: October 19, 2020
- Phase 2: Foster Youth and Homeless Students
- Return to School: November 2, 2020
- Phase 3: English Learners
- Return to School: January 4, 2021
- Phase 4: All Other Students as part of a Cohort A/B Model
- Return to School: Contingent upon local health conditions as mandated by the state.
Additional information regarding individual phases will be communicated with the parents/guardians of students included within each state defined group. The District will continue to evaluate the local environment to determine Phase 4 implementation and will continue to update all community stakeholders on progress. Please await further communication from the District.
Current information on the Coronavirus may be found on the CDC website at:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Main Site
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention COVID-19 Situation Summary
Additional information may be found at the Kern County Department of Public Health Services website, California Department of Public Health, and World Health Organization at the following links:
- Kern County Public Health Services Department 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- California Department of Public Health Novel Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
- World Health Organization Novel Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)