Welcome to Bakersfield!
Nestled in California’s Southern Central Valley, Bakersfield offers an affordable, modern lifestyle. Recreational, dining, and entertainment opportunities abound in Bakersfield. Combined with its temperate spring, fall, and winter weather, Bakersfield offers the best of big city living with a small-town feel.
Did you know?
- Bakersfield is the hometown of country music legends Buck Owens and Merle Haggard.
- In 2015 Guy Fieri showcased eight Bakersfield restaurants on his show "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.
- Bakersfield's population increased 55.33% between 2000 and 2017.
- The median age of Bakersfield’s population is 30.2, giving it a younger population than either California (35.6) or the U.S. (37.4).
- Bakersfield is served by 4 local tv affiliates, one newspaper, and numerous radio stations.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bakersfield is one of the top three metropolitan areas for job growth in California (2017).
- According to smartassets.com (2018), Bakersfield ranks 3rd in the United States for millennial homeownership.
- Bakersfield has more than 170 miles of bike trails, lanes, and paths.
- Bakersfield is one of only six stops featured on Yelp’s “Perfect West Coast Road Trip” from Seattle to San Diego. The only other intermediate stops are Portland, Sacramento, and Los Angeles.
Learn more here: https://www.visitbakersfield.com/
- Los Angeles • 103 miles
- San Diego • 234 miles
- San Francisco • 274 miles
- Metro Bakersfield: 543,400
- City of Bakersfield: 383,512
- Kern County: 884,788
- Average high/low temps: 76.8F / 53.1F
- Average annual rainfall: 6.49”
- Sunny days per year: 272
Bakersfield’s economy is centered on many diverse industries. Agriculture, healthcare, oil, government, and distribution are just a few of the many industries that contribute to one of the fastest-growing economies and regions in the nation.
- State Sales Tax: 7.5 percent
- City Sales Tax: none